Archive for August 2008
With the increased popularity of the 80’s Revival and American Apparel, tights have become very fashionable for the female Urban Grads (especially when there isn’t enough time to shave those legs). Well American Apparel isn’t the only game in town…well they are as far as the United States goes. There is a company located in the United Kingdom that has a “massive selection” of tights for all occasions. Check out a little of what tightsplease has to offer.
Don’t worry Urban Graduettes these tights are not expensive. Visit the website http://www.tightsplease.co.uk to browse through the collection. There are sheer tights, opaque tights, fishnets, footless tights, leggings, suspender tights, lace and crochet tights, children’s tights, and even tights for the pregos/expecting mothers. So ladies, remember that the Smartorialist told you to keep it tight.
Post Scriptum I just wanted to put up a picture of these sequin tights by John Varvatos:
The Official Video just dropped, so I had to post it as inspiration to all the Urban Graduates out there. Know what you’re learning, know why you’re learning, and never be afraid to create by stepping outside of the lines. Good Morning UTO.
As urban graduates, we take pride in having “good sense”. But what about having a “good scent”? The right scent could land that perfect date, seal that important business venture, or simply leave that flawless first impression. UTO is about to break down the fragrance world for both male and female urban graduates. Relax and take notes:
1. THE SOLUTION* :: (the ratio of scent oil to its base….usually alcohol)
Basically, we’re talking about the STRENGTH of the perfume/cologne.
- Perfume Extract – highly concentrated; lasts between 6 – 8 hrs.; $$$$
- Eau de Parfum (EDP) – 8% – 15% conc.; lasts 5 – 7 hrs.; $$$
- Eau de Toilette (EDT) – 4% – 8% conc.; lasts 4 – 6 hrs.; $$
- Eau de Cologne (EDC/Aftershave) – 3 – 5% conc.; lasts 3 hrs. max; $
* the strength and price are directly related; higher concentration = higher price
2. THE CATEGORY :: (the family of tones represented in a particular fragrance)
For Men and Women, their are DISTINCT fragrance GROUPS.
- Floral – orchids, roses, lavender; soft, natural smell
- Fruity – strawberry, pineapple, some citrus; fruitful aroma; ref: Anything in Victoria’s Secret Beauty
- Spicy (or Aromatic Fougere if you wanna be smarty art)- described as containing a “warm” or “hot” character
- Woody (or Oriental…p/c, i think not) – sandalwood, cedarwood, vanilla, night-blooming flowers, and oriental resins; nice forest notes, dry or smokey.
** these categories are collapsed; in actuality there are several subcategories and crossovers.
- Citrus – lemon or tangerine; “fresh from the shower” smell; ref: Ralph Lauren Polo Blue, Armani Acqua Di Gio
- Green – sharp and sweet; “fresh cut grass, or crushed leaves” smell; ref: Chanel Allure Homme
- Spicy – uhh….duh. spices; ref: Old Spice, Obsession for Men
3. THE STAGE :: (the manner in which the fragrance will act over time)
Rule of Thumb, a fragrance undergoes DEVELOPMENT.
- Top Note – initial, lighter smell of the fragrance; first 15 min.; ref: what the people in your car smell on the way to the club
- Middle Note – comes after Top Note; remains constant throughout most of fragrance life ; ref: what you catch a whiff of in passing and say, “DAMN HE/SHE Smells GOOD!”
- Base Note – last to emerge; fixes scent to the skin; ref: after a nice, long date, this is what saves you when he or she leans in for the kiss.
Alright, now that you have the general info down, go out and TRY SOME FRAGRANCES. I promise, if you use these terms, and the person at the counter will think you’re Whitley Gilbert! Think of a scent as your signature — unique to your personality. Purchase, Apply appropriately, and watch a good scent do its job.
Since EVERYBODY wants to be Chris Paul this fall….Let’s GET IT!! Top picks across the board for Greeks goin back-to-school:
NIKE Dunk Hi — “Octadunk” Pack. I saw these in person….very Dope! Shout out to Bodega in Boston. Yo, these joints commemorate the beginning of the Beijing Olympics (08-08-08). The detail work is nice, the shoe is completely seamless, and really it’s like looking at a bunch of pixels. LIVE!
Colette + Hello Kitty collaborated to make the Silly Thing Watch. Okay…..It’s blue….It has a CAT on it….AND it’s considered “high-fashion”. No-Brainer!!! Snatch that up, ladiez in blue.
So after really looking around the web, I found something that was dark enough to be Hunter Green. Adidas + GoodFoot (Canadian fashion, get ya brand game up) collaborate on this 5-Panel cap. The dopest part about it all is that it comes with a carrying bag and eco-friendly literature. The Cap and Bag are made out of green materials. How bout that?!
Creative Recreation, again. The Miranda Shoe, definitely an appropriately named joint. Haters have the RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT when you slip these on. Think of them as a creative take on a ballet flat, but waaaaay more comfortable. (Sidebar: Creative Rec is in Barneys now! These dudes done blown UP!! Got they shoes bein made in ITALY).
The Louboutin T-Shirt by Free Gold Watch. This is pretty clever. Put one of the most-coveted heels on a t-shirt, trick it out in red, then add a Fresh ass zipper to the neck for originality?! On point like a Ballerina! Snatch that up, real talk.