The Urban Graduate [play.vs.away]
Grads and Graduettes, there are some things we need to discuss. As the unique trend originators that we are, it is IMPERATIVE that we remain AHEAD of the curve…not behind it. I love yall like a play cousin, but today, we have to put it all out on the table. There are just some things people need to stop rockin….right now. Not now, but RIGHT NOW. We’re gonna help facilitate this transition for our slow brothers and sisters in graduate-dom; enter “Play vs. Away”.
1. FABRICS :: Look now, it’s getting cold. Put that damn linen and seersucker away for next June, and throw on heavier fabrics like…i dunno….WOOL! Tweed, Corduroy, and Moleskin are all good fabrics for this time of the year.
2. WOMEN’S FOOTWEAR :: Ladies, you know yall are my heart….but if I see one more woman skippin around here with gladiator sandals on (this includes you Rhianna), I swear fo’ God I’mma bring a lion out to attack your tacky ass. Knee-high boots, Rider boots, and even Hunter boots are good looks right about now.
3. Men’s Footwear :: I love loafers and moccasins. They seem to go with damn near everything and they’re timeless. But, let’s be practical, there’s nothing worse then stepping in a puddle, or snow, or the elements…in a loafer. They are made for fashion, not for protection. Switch to a more protective, and still stylish alternative, the Chukka Boot.
4. ACCESSORIES :: It was hot two years ago, it even hung on last year, but now….it’s just kinda sad. Keffiyehs (or Arab scarves as ignant folk call them) should only be worn if you plan on crossing the Sahara this winter. Otherwise, grab a REGULAR SCARF, wool, cashmere, and cable-knit, and leave the camel-jockeying alone.
5. TECHNOLOGY :: Now this has to be said. If you’re a grown-ass adult, who plans on being viewed as a grown-ass adult….kick that toy to the side. It’s not fresh. You’re not in Mrs. Walinski’s 3rd period — you’re in Philosophy, Biochemistry, Contracts, or maybe a cubicle. Point blank, upgrade your phone along with your life; the G1 is like the Sidekick + iPhone + I’mma boss.