The Urban Graduate: [cur.io]
“…Statuettes’ X eyes on those graffiti’d dolls/ my ghetto b****es ask why, I say ‘It’s just be KAWS’…” – Malice (of The Clipse)
With all the added pressures of professional life, bills, and grown-up responsibilities, sometimes Urban Grads forget that we are still YOUNG! One of the best ways to infuse that “youthful spirit” is to keep a toy or two around (ok, minds out of the gutter, everybody). The Urban Grad Curio is much more than an action figure — it’s a 5-inch objet d’art… with Kung-Fu Grip. Here are some reasons why you should step your “Curio Game” up:
1. Be@rbrick is cool. Period. (We’ve been through this before, Bearbrick releases items in limited series, blind boxes, and always delivers creative collaborations)
2. Many of the toys are designed by world-renown artists, i.e. KAWS. (see verse/quote above, and then proceed to Pharrell’s or Lupe’s personal collections)
3. (You) + (Japanese Art) = Urban Art Maven. (The artistic culture of Japanese toys has been around for DECADES…are you just now catching on?)
4. They’re Small, Detailed, and EXTREMELY collectible! (A single toy can cost anywhere from $8, i.e. King Ken by Amos, to $450, i.e. Futura Nosferatu statuette — consider each toy an asset that can appreciate with time).
5. Several suggest, “Hey, I’m a Kid at heart”. BUT, thousands suggest, “Hey, I’m a Kid…and I still prefer pajamas that have footies attached.” (Just like buying framed artwork, make your selections wisely. Be sure that the fun-factor and the art factor are in a balance that reflects your lifestyle).